Accident Checklist For Your Glove Compartment
Bill Allen | November 27, 2017 | Car Accidents
Be prepared: Keep this checklist in your glove compartment along with an instant camera if you do not have a smart phone.
Immediately after the accident:
- Your immediate safety needs attention. If there is potential for risk to you, please stay in your car.
- Move to a safe location if your vehicle is creating a safety hazard or obstructing traffic.
- Never leave the scene of an accident.
Once it is SAFE to do so:
- Assess the well-being of others. If there are injuries, call 911 to get help to the scene.
- Once the authorities arrive, follow any instructions that the law enforcement gives you.
- Many people call their insurance company, especially if their coverage offers emergency towing arrangements.
- Note the name of the tow company, and the place where your vehicle is being towed.
- Be courteous and polite, but do not admit fault.
- Provide your name and insurance information to the police.
- Document the names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
At the scene:
- With a smart phone or camera, photograph the following:
- License plates of involved vehicles.
- Damaged areas of your vehicle, other vehicles or property.
- Objects at the scene such as skid marks, position in lane, street signs or other landmarks to identify the accident location.
- Anything that might have been a factor in the accident, such as obscured traffic signs, etc.
Make note of the following, that may be asked for later:
- Time, date and location.
- Weather, visibility and traffic conditions.
- Description of the accident.
- Description of any injuries and damage.
- Details of police or emergency responder involvement.
- Adjuster’s name/phone/claim numbers.
Keep receipts for anything related to this accident! Then, please call us 24/7 at the Allen Law Firm, a Personal Injury firm with offices located in Gainesville or Ocala, Florida. We have a team that includes staff that were previously licensed adjusters. We are here to help! Call Gainesville (352)331-6789 or Ocala (352)351-3558. We also have a toll-free number: (877) ALLEN-LAW