Gainesville Brain Injury Lawyer
Have you or a loved one recently been diagnosed with a brain injury after being involved in an accident in Gainesville, FL? Brain injuries are costly.
If someone else is responsible for this trauma, the experienced Gainesville brain injury lawyers at Allen Law Firm, P.A. can help you fight to hold them financially accountable. The money you’re awarded can make a massive difference in your life for years to come.
We offer a free initial case evaluation. There’s absolutely no risk in sitting down with our compassionate legal team to discuss your rights and the options for recovery that might be available to you. So, contact our Gainesville, Florida law office at (877) 255-3652 to set up your initial constitution today.
Table of Contents
How Allen Law Firm, P.A. Can Help If You’ve Suffered a Brain Injury in Gainesville
Trauma to the brain can affect just about every aspect of life.
If your brain injury could have been avoided, but was the result of another person’s negligence, you may have the right to take legal action.
Filing an insurance claim or civil personal injury lawsuit can help to mitigate the burdensome costs of your injury and provide some much-needed relief during this difficult time.
Making the decision to hire a Gainesville personal injury attorney to handle your brain injury case can make all the difference in the world. With an experienced attorney, like Bill Allen, taking the lead, you have the opportunity you really need to focus on getting better.
With Allen Law Firm, P.A. on the case, you can also rest assured that you’re setting yourself up to walk away will a full financial award. Our compassionate team is available to discuss your delicate legal matter. We are always here to provide you with unparalleled support and guidance when you need it most.
Since 2007, our Gainesville personal injury law firm has been advocating on behalf of brain injury victims just like you. And, thanks to our relentless pursuit of financial justice, we’ve been able to recover hundreds of millions in settlements and verdicts on our clients’ behalf. When you need help, we’ll be there to fight for you, too.
Among other things, you can expect us to:
- Provide compassionate, yet compelling legal advice and support during this tough time
- Coordinate and oversee an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident and resulting brain damage
- Work closely with leading accident and injury experts, including surgeons and brain injury specialists, vocational rehabilitation professionals, and accident reconstructionists
- Handle all aspects of your brain injury case from start to finish, while keeping you fully informed of the progress at all stages
- Limit the effectiveness of any allegations that you share blame for your brain injury
- Work to negotiate a swift and sizable settlement with the insurance company and/or at-fault party
While our primary goal will be to get a settlement with favorable terms, our trial lawyers will not hesitate to reject lowball offers and bring your case to a jury, if necessary. We’ll be ready to do whatever it takes to help you walk away with every cent you deserve. Call our Gainesville brain injury lawyers to learn more today.
Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
The brain plays a vital role in everything you do – consciously and subconsciously. The organ is a complex system of billions of nerve cells (gray matter) and nerve fibers (white matter) that are connected by trillions of synapses. Needless to say, even a minor bump or blow to the head can cause a serious disruption to the brain and its ability to function properly.
And, that’s precisely what a traumatic brain injury is. A traumatic brain injury, or TBI, is defined as a bump, blow, jolt, or other trauma to the brain that causes temporary or permanent disruption to the organ’s normal function.
Open vs. Closed Head Injuries
Brain injuries are the result of one of two distinct types of traumatic events: open head injuries and closed head injuries. Open head injuries occur when the hard skull that surrounds the brain is penetrated. In some situations, they’re referred to as penetrating head injuries.
When the skull is compromised, the brain is vulnerable to puncture wounds, debris, and even sharp bone fragments from the skull itself.
Open head injuries can be the result of assaults, gunshot wounds, stabbings, or even substantial blunt force trauma that causes the skull to fracture.
Closed head injuries occur when the head is subject to considerable external force – such as a blow to the head. The skull remains intact, but the force of the trauma causes the brain to move around violently inside. As a result, the soft brain tissue can make contact with the hard skull, causing significant damage to the gray matter, white matter, and synapses.
Common causes of closed head injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck accidents
- Electric scooter accidents
- Other motor vehicle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dog bites
- Swimming pool accidents
- Accidents involving defective products
- Medical malpractice, including anesthesia errors and surgical mistakes
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
No matter why or how you suffered a brain injury, it’s important to reach out to an experienced attorney to discuss your legal rights and options. Call Allen Law Firm, P.A. to set up a consultation at no charge today.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
“Traumatic brain injury” is a broad term that is used to refer to a number of different types of trauma and complications that can arise from damage to the brain. Common types of brain injuries that result from accidents in Gainesville include:
- Concussion (a blow to the head severe enough to cause a disruption to cognitive function)
- Epidural Hematoma (pooling of blood between the brain and skull wall)
- Subdural Hematoma (collection of blood on the surface of the brain)
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage (uncontrolled bleeding inside of the brain)
- Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (uncontrolled bleeding in the membranes that cover the brain)
- Edema (swelling)
- Diffuse Axonal Injury (trauma causes axons – or white matter – in the brain to tear)
- Aneurysm (bulge in a blood vessel in the brain)
Brain injuries are further categorized into levels, based on the extent and severity of the damage sustained, as well as how long the victim lost consciousness (if at all). Classifications of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Mild: Loss of consciousness for 30 minutes or less
- Moderate: Loss of consciousness for 20 minutes to 6 hours
- Severe: Loss of consciousness exceeding 6 hours
Diagnosis is also contingent on the victim’s Glasgow Coma Score. The lower the score, the more severe the TBI.
Damages Available to Brain Injury Victims in Gainesville, Florida
The cost of a brain injury, especially one classified as “severe” can be extremely high.
Over the course of a lifetime, a young victim can easily see costs, expenses, and losses exceed six or seven figures.
If you’ve suffered a brain injury and someone else is at least partly to blame, it’s really important to consider holding them financially accountable for the harm they’ve caused. In Florida, brain injury victims can potentially be awarded economic and non-economic damages for:
- Present medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Funeral expenses
How much is your Gainesville brain injury case worth? It depends on the seriousness of your trauma and how it ultimately affects your life. The more severe and debilitating a brain injury is, the higher the value of a related injury claim. Allen Law Firm, P.A. will work closely with leading accident and injury experts to make sure that your brain injury case is valued properly. Our Gainesville brain injury attorneys will fight to recover a full and fair financial award for you.
Time Limits For Pursuing Compensation For a Traumatic Brain Injury
Florida limits the amount of time accident victims have to file a civil claim and pursue compensation for their injuries. In most cases, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is four years. The clock starts to tick the moment you get hurt or when you discover your brain injury – whichever is later.
You’ll have less time to act if a government entity is involved or you are pursuing damages through a wrongful death claim.
While there may be situations that permit additional time to file a claim, those are few and far between. You risk losing everything and walking away with nothing at all if you miss the deadline that applies to your case. Four years can fly by before you know it. Don’t let well-deserved money slip away. Call our experienced Gainesville brain injury attorneys for help immediately.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Gainesville Brain Injury Lawyers
When you suffer a brain injury in an avoidable accident, the last thing you need to worry about is a fight for compensation. Let Allen Law Firm, P.A. handle that for you. Our Gainesville brain injury lawyers have more than 70 years of combined experience. We’ve recovered hundreds of millions on behalf of accident victims like you. We’ll do everything we can to get you the financial award you need and deserve.
Your first consultation is free, so don’t hesitate to give our Alachua County law office a call to schedule yours today.
Gainesville Brain Injury Review From Google
Everyone at the Allen Law Firm are such caring and helpful people. I am sure that any question or concern I may have would be responded to quickly and efficiently. Great people, great law firm.Marquis Perreault
Our personal injury law firm in Gainesville, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Gainesville, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Gainesville, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Gainesville, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Gainesville, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Gainesville, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Gainesville, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Gainesville, FL