Were you injured in a car accident in Lake City, FL? If so, you may have a right to be compensated for your injuries. At Allen Law Firm, P.A., our Lake City car accident lawyers have extensive experience in helping injured clients get a financial award in cases just like yours. Contact our Lake City law firm to discuss your case.
We’ll sit down with you to understand exactly what happened and offer some initial legal advice on possible strategies to help you get the best outcome possible. This consultation is 100% free and you pay nothing unless we win, so you have nothing to lose by giving us a call today.
How Allen Law Firm, P.A., Can Help After a Crash in Lake City
At Allen Law Firm, P.A., our Lake City personal injury lawyers fight hard for our clients and take pride in helping them get the compensation they need to be able to recover. We understand the devastation car accident injuries can have on your life because we have successfully handled similar cases for countless clients. Whether it’s a car accident, motorcycle accident, truck accident, or wrongful death, we’ve seen it all and we know the steps to take to give your case the greatest chance of success.
Hiring a reputable law firm that’s highly respected and known for winning can be a gamechanger in your case. Insurance companies are more likely to make a fair settlement offer when they realize you’re represented by an accomplished and aggressive firm. And, not only do our attorneys have 70+ years of combined experience handling civil litigation, but also former adjusters on staff who, collectively, have 150 years inside the insurance industry. That’s a huge advantage to you from the start.
When you engage Allen Law Firm, P.A., to represent you in your auto accident case, here’s what you can expect us to do:
- Sit down with you to hear the details directly from you so we can understand precisely what took place.
- Collect and examine evidence, such as police documents, photos of the accident site, any video available, statements from witnesses, and hospital records.
- Consult with leading specialists in their fields, such as accident reconstructionists, healthcare professionals, and automotive experts.
- Communicate with you to ensure you’re well-informed and are able to weigh in on major decisions.
- Cultivate a strong attorney-client relationship by respecting your choices and treating you with the dignity you deserve.
- Handle all discussions with the insurance company, including negotiating to maximize any settlement offer.
- If your claim is denied or the offer insufficient, we will take your case to trial to ensure you get justice.
The legal process can be complex and daunting. That’s why it’s so important that you hire competent legal representation to advocate on your behalf. Call our law offices, conveniently located in Gainesville, Ocala, today to schedule a free consultation with our experienced car accident attorneys. Anything discussed at the meeting is covered by attorney-client privilege, so you can freely share your situation with us.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Columbia County, FL?
Data from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety lists Florida as third in the country in 2018 for fatal car accidents. In addition, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shows that Florida had 330,753 motor vehicle accidents in 2020 despite a pandemic and lockdown.
Columbia County, which includes Lake City, had:
- 1,365 total crashes
- 23 fatalities from crashes
- 923 injuries from crashes
Number of fatalities from car accidents over the previous years:
- 2019 – 30
- 2018 – 21
- 2017 – 20
- 2016 – 20
- 2015 – 22
- 2014 – 15
- 2013 – 17
- 2012 – 9
The reduction in fatalities in 2020 was an anomaly due to the pandemic, so it’s clear that fatalities have seen a steady uptick in Columbia County over the years.
Where Do Most Car Accidents Happen in Lake City, Florida?
Accidents can happen anywhere, but there are some areas that tend to be more dangerous than others. This may be due to the level of traffic, high speed limits, or unsafe road conditions. Knowing what roadways and highways seem to be more primed for accidents may help you avoid accidents.
The most dangerous areas in and around Lake City include:
- I-75, which the Department of Transportation states has an accident rate that’s 90% higher than the state’s average
- The intersection of Northwest 34th Street and Northwest 39th Avenue
Other dangerous intersections in Columbia County include:
- SR 247 & SW Bascom Norris Dr
- SR 247 & US 90
- NW Bascom Norris Dr & US 90
- I-75 & US 90, and
- CR 252B & US 90.
These intersections were noted as dangerous based on the rate of accidents, number of accidents, and the severity of injuries sustained.
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
While we cannot say exactly what your case would be worth without a thorough understanding and examination of the facts, we can tell you there are a number of variables to consider.
These variables, which have an impact on the value of your claim, include:
- Whether a drunk driver was involved
- The severity of your injury and the impact it will have on your day-to-day functioning
- The extent of damage to the automobiles involved, suggesting it was a forceful and severe accident
- The potential medical bills and ongoing care required for your injury
- Whether there was a vehicle malfunction such as an airbag not deploying
- The amount of time you were forced to take off from your job
- Whether occupants who were injured were wearing seat belts as per Florida seat belt laws
These and other factors all go into calculating the amount of payout to which you may be entitled. The process can get confusing and complex, which is why you should not attempt to go it alone. Having an accomplished and experienced law firm by your side can mean the difference between winning and losing, as well as the amount of compensation you receive.
At Allen Law Firm, P.A., we’re known for our aggressive approach to negotiating and securing a financial award for our clients. We leave no money on the table.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Crash Victims?
In personal injury cases, damages are typically broken into two different categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic awards cover losses related to the accident itself.
Losses such as:
- Cost of medical treatment
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- In-home nursing care
- Household services
- Medical equipment such as wheelchairs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic awards cover losses related to more intimate matters whose monetary worth is difficult to determine.
These may include losses related to:
- Spontaneous or medical amputation
- Loss of any of the senses
- Loss of mobility
- Emotional distress
- Loss of cognitive abilities
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
There’s no question that healing often requires both physical and emotional recovery. Our car accident lawyers at Allen Law Firm, P.A., will do everything in our power to get you the resources you need to return your life to the way it was before the accident. You deserve to be made whole after undergoing an accident and injuries.
Contact our Lake City law office to speak with our personal injury lawyers today. We’ll schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in Florida?
Florida is a “pure comparative fault” state, which means your payout is reduced by your percentage of the blame in the accident. For example, if the determination is that you were 30% responsible for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by 30% to account for your role in causing the accident.
Keep in mind that it’s in your insurance company’s interest to try to lay as much of the blame on you as possible so they can pay you less. Our personal injury lawyers have been negotiating with insurance companies in cases like this for decades. We know all the ways they try to keep our clients from getting the money they deserve, and we’re prepared to push back and counter on your behalf.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All Of Your Crash-Related Injuries
Depending on the type of crash and its severity, the injuries that one can sustain in a car accident are limitless.
Some of the most common injuries that often seem to be present after a wreck include the following:
- Whiplash from the forceful movement of the head and neck during a collision
- Bruising/Contusions: Bruises are common but tend to heal quickly without medical treatment.
- Spinal cord injuries: May cause paralysis or significantly limit mobility.
- Traumatic brain injuries are among the most severe injuries and will have a dramatic impact on quality of life.
- Internal bleeding: Refers to injury to critical organs, requiring urgent treatment.
Other possible injuries include:
- Losing a limb
- Broken or fractured bones
- Concussions or other closed head injuries
- Back injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Chest injuries
- Cuts from shards of metal and glass
Unfortunately, accidents can also result in wrongful death.
Whether your injury is minor or severe, you need to be able to heal from the accident. To do that, you need monetary resources at your disposal to cover your treatment and ongoing care. Let Allen Law Firm, P.A., handle that for you so you can concentrate on getting better.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Lake City, Florida?
The reasons for a car accident are many but they tend to be similar across the United States, including Lake City, Florida.
Here are just a few possible causes:
- Texting and driving
- Road conditions
- Drinking and driving
- Disregarding red and yellow lights
- Not maintaining a safe distance
- Disobeying traffic signs
- Faulty vehicle parts
- Weather conditions
- Fiddling with GPS or radio
- Dropping an item and trying to pick it up
- Illegal or prescription drugs
Discussing the details of the accident with you, reviewing the police reports, and examining the accident site, all help our auto accident attorneys pinpoint the possible cause of the accident. This is important in considering the allocation of blame and the value of your case.
Representing Clients in All Types of North Central Florida Car Accident Cases
Although no two accidents are the same, there are patterns and common threads across accidents of a similar type.
Our personal injury attorneys at Allen Law Firm, P.A., are familiar with all types of car crashes, including:
- Rear-end collision
- Head-on collision
- T-bone (perpendicular hit between the front of one vehicle and the side of another)
- Multi-vehicle collision
With our broad experience in handling car accident cases, we know what to consider in any of the above accident types.
What Does Florida’s No-Fault Insurance Mean For Me After A Car Wreck in Lake City?
Florida is a “no-fault” state for purposes of damages in car accidents. No-fault is an insurance system that requires car owners to have “personal injury protection” (PIP) included as part of their car insurance policy. In the event of an accident, PIP is expected to be the first source for monetary damages to cover car accident injuries. This is true no matter who is to blame for the accident.
There are a few exceptions to this, however:
- If your injuries pass a threshold for “serious injury,” (see below) then you can pursue benefits from the other driver or responsible party.
- If your injuries are not serious but surpass $10,000, you can seek remedy outside of the PIP plan
- If you want to recover for property damage, you can recover from the responsible party because property damage is not covered under the no-fault system.
“Serious injuries” for purposes of bypassing the PIP plan can include:
- Certain bone fractures
- Significant disfigurement
- Loss or limitation of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of a bodily system or function
- Full disability for three months
One thing to keep in mind is that PIP does not cover non-economic damages such as pain and suffering or mental anguish. When you go outside the PIP structure, however, your compensation options are more expansive and everything is on the table.
Our attorneys at Allen Law Firm, P.A., have dealt with PIP issues extensively and will look into all possible avenues for maximizing the compensation you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Wreck in Florida?
Each state can set a time limit for filing a claim for damages if you have sustained a personal injury. This time limit is called the “statute of limitations.” In Florida, the statute of limitations for seeking compensation after a car accident is four years from the date of your accident. Don’t be fooled into thinking four years is a lot of time.
When it comes to building a strong case, every bit of time you have matters. The stronger your case, the greater the likelihood that the insurance company will do everything it can to settle.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Lake City?
The steps you take immediately following a car accident can be extremely helpful in building a solid case for damages if you choose to pursue benefits.
While it’s tough to maintain a presence of mind after a harrowing experience, keep these recommendations in mind.
- Remain at the crash scene but maintain a safe distance from danger
- Offer assistance to anyone involved in the accident who may need help
- Call the police
- Get contact info for other drivers and witnesses
- Call your insurance company
- Take photos of the accident scene if possible
- Seek medical care and document your injuries
After these steps, you should immediately hire a personal injury lawyer. Call Allen Law Firm, P.A., and we’ll guide you to ensure evidence is preserved for possible legal action.
Contact Our Lake City Car Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
If you’ve been hurt in a car crash in Lake City, Florida, you deserve all the benefits to which you may be entitled. Allen Law Firm, P.A., can help. We’ll put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work in the fight to get you what you need to recover. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis. This means that you pay nothing unless we’re able to secure a financial award for you. Your first consultation with us is also free, so you have no reason to hesitate in reaching out to our legal team.
Your health and future are too important to put in the hands of a lesser firm. You need the best legal representation available, and that’s exactly what you get when you hire Allen Law Firm, P.A. Our Lake City car accident lawyers are standing by and ready to advocate for you.
Call today to speak with our team and go over your case and find out why we’re the best choice for you.