Never events are medical errors that should never happen under any circumstances. If you’ve been the victim of a never event, you may have the right to file a medical negligence lawsuit for damages. The experienced Gainesville never events lawyers at Allen Law Firm, P.A. can help you maximize your financial recovery.
Since 2007, Allen Law Firm, P.A. has been standing up to hospitals, negligent doctors, and other tough defendants for injury victims and families in Gainesville, FL. We put more than a century of combined experience behind every case we handle and win top results for our clients.
Our award-winning law firm has secured hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts. Let us fight to get you the money you deserve for your never event-related injuries, too.
Table of Contents
How Allen Law Firm, P.A. Can Help If You’ve Been the Victim of a Medical Never Event in Gainesville, Florida
We trust our healthcare providers to keep us safe. We trust that they’ll use their vast knowledge of medicine and experience in the medical field to help us get better. Unfortunately, some doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals get careless and make inexcusable mistakes.
Doctors have to be held fully accountable for these entirely avoidable medical errors. That’s where our Gainesville medical malpractice lawyers can help.
While you focus on recovering from your injuries or grieving the loss of a family member, our law firm will:
- Conduct a pre-suit investigation and notify defendants of the intent to file a medical malpractice lawsuit
- Determine what circumstances allowed the never event to happen, how it could have been avoided, and who’s at fault
- Gather evidence to demonstrate that your injuries and suffering are a result of a medical professional’s negligent care
- Bring in expert medical professionals to provide us with guidance as to what a reasonable healthcare professional would have done under the same circumstances
- Negotiate with insurance companies, hospitals, and other parties to get you the best possible settlement
- Have a respected Florida trial attorney bring your case to a jury if you don’t receive a fair settlement offer
We know how difficult it can be for victims of medical negligence to prove their cases and win the compensation they deserve. Our law firm is dedicated to giving you a voice and holding negligent medical professionals responsible for the inexcusable mistakes they’ve made. Call our Gainesville never events attorneys to learn more. Your first consultation is free.
What is a Never Event?
The term “never event” is relatively new. In 2001, it was a term coined by Ken Kizer, the former CEO of the National Quality Forum (NQF), to describe “shocking medical errors” that “should never occur.”
Over time, the definition has changed and become more structured.
In fact, there are 29 specific errors that are classified as “never events” that fall into seven distinct categories:
- Surgical events (e.g., wrong-site surgery)
- Product or device events (e.g., using contaminated drugs, devices, or equipment)
- Patient protection events (e.g., discharging a patient who lacks the capacity to make decisions)
- Care management events (e.g., medication errors)
- Environmental events (e.g., injuries related to bed restraints)
- Radiologic events (e.g., allowing metal in an MRI machine)
- Criminal events (e.g., assaulting a patient or impersonating a doctor)
Anything that’s defined as a never event:
- Can be clearly identified and measured;
- Results in a catastrophic disability or wrongful death; and
- Is preventable.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a never event in Gainesville, FL, it’s essential to speak with a personal injury attorney right away. You’ll only have a limited time to take action and demand compensation for the harm you’ve suffered.
How Often Do Never Events Happen?
Medical errors are the third-leading cause of avoidable death in the United States. How many of those medical mistakes are classified as never events?
There are varying opinions. A 2006 study determined that a wrong-site surgery might happen every 5 to 10 years. Another study from 2013 estimated that there are 4,000 surgery-related never events annually.
Regardless of how often they happen, it’s clear that never events are among the worst medical mistakes. It’s believed that more than 70 percent of never events result in patient death.
Our Gainesville Medical Malpractice Lawyers Can Help You Seek Compensation After a Never Event
Allen Law Firm, P.A. will help you stand up to negligent medical professionals, hospitals, and insurance companies. Our award-winning Gainesville medical malpractice attorneys will fight to get you every cent you need and deserve.
Contact our law office in Gainesville to learn more. We offer a free consultation and work on a contingency fee basis. There’s no cost to you unless we win a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
Call to get started with your free case evaluation now.